Music exists in all cultures. It can be termed a language which influences people of all age groups from all walks of life and it does a whole lot of good things to the well being of mankind. Music affects the whole brain for good, only loud and jarring music could be irritating. Otherwise all music benefits us. Let us list the benefits of listening to music.
1. Effective therapy for pain: Music has positive effects on pain management. It helps to reduce both the sensation and the distress of both chronic and post-operative pain. Listening to music reduces pain caused from osteoarthritis, disc problems, rheumatoid arthritis etc. Music therapy is used in hospitals to reduce the pain and mental agony during childbirth. It also works as a substitute for anesthesia during surgery. Music serves as a distractor in patients suffering from pain. It may give the patient a sense of control. It makes the body release endorphins to fight pain. Slow music helps us to slow down breathing and heartbeat thereby we relax ourselves.
2. Reduces blood pressure: Playing relaxing music everyday would help to reduce the blood pressure. Listening to classical music at least for 30 minutes everyday would show significant results by reducing blood pressure.
3. Remedy for migraine and headaches: Music reduces the duration, intensity and frequency of headaches. Music therapy is the best remedy for headaches.
4. Helps post-stroke recovery: Listening to classical, jazz music everyday is said to speed recovery from very bad strokes. Verbal memory and attention span improve in patients who suffered severe strokes after listening to music daily for a few minutes.
5. Medicine for heart: People are said to have faster breathing rate and heart beat while listening to lively music. When they switch to slow music their heart beat and the breathing rate also slow down. The tempo of the music has the greatest effect on relaxation.
6. Increases immunity: Researchers proved that a particular type of music can create positive emotional experience, which would in turn secrete immunity-boosting hormones in the body. This naturally reduces the factors which would cause illness. Music also reduces the level of stress-related hormone cortisol.
7. Boosts intelligence, learning and IQ: Listening to music actually helps human beings to learn better. This fact is proven by extensive research worldwide.
8. Improves memory performance: Some kinds of music are said to simultaneously activate the left and right hemispheres of the human brain and this enhances learning and retention of information.
9. Music improves body movement and coordination: Music reduces the tension in muscles and it helps them relax. This increases body movement and coordination in turn. People with movement disorders regain their body movement after receiving music therapy.
10. Improves concentration and attention: Music increases the concentration level and attention span in people of all age groups. Different types of music will have different lasting effects depending on the kind of ailment people suffer from.
Enjoying music is something unique with mankind. No other species on earth can create and enjoy music like how the mankind does. It is a unique benefit which is our own asset for the entire lifetime.
I am, Janet Adams, currently working with a team of essay writing professionals & services. Mostly committed for a student’s successful career, the goal of our team is to help students from colleges and universities to ease their way to have excellent educational career. We are incontestably successful in it yet.